My co-worker brought up the fact that in wikipedia Idaho State was mentioned for college football. At first I was excited to hear what it was , but immediately my joy turned to sorrow. The reason being is that he said, “Idaho State Football was listed as a team that lost by the most points ever in a football game.” By how many you say? In 1919 Idaho State lost to Utah State 131-0, yep that is correct no typo 131-0. Not all history is worth bragging about, and who knows what was going on then. This brought to my memory of myself playing for Idaho State Football a lot later.
You see I remember the first game I played in as an Idaho State Bengal, we were playing Cal Poly San Luis Obispo in California. The spring and fall was full of practice, conditioning and lifting weights, it felt like forever before I would step on the field and play another team. Can I tell you fear was evident, after thinking about it it wasn’t me scared of another player, it was me being afraid of letting my team and coaches down, after they invested so much into me. This quote rings true:
Courage is being scared to death… and saddling up anyway - John Wayne
Fear, doubt, being scared it all seems true in the mind, because we don’t know the future. We all have options that when we are called upon to exercise our greatness we feel a tugging to pull back. Some of us look for an out of the situation, how can I not have to do this. Can I share some wisdom with you? Our options can be simply overcome with our visions.
What do I mean about this, your vision for life, the situation will push past any options that oppose you and your greatness. How often do you envision yourself doing something really cool, to really great? When you are facing a situation that wants to rob you of your moment, do you get still and vision yourself succeeding or breaking through? This mental exercise proves to be gold in life and listen it works for every occasion. You profession, your business, your marriage, your children, your health, you name it. When you capture a vision for greatness it pulls you past the wall of fear and puts in the arena of courage. “Saddle up anyway!”
Did this help you today? Please respond by letting me know-
Affectionately Your Coach,
A lion in the jungle must have conflict everyday in order to have peace. A hungry lion will hunt its prey in order to satisfy a burning desire of peace being physically full and at rest. The true human nature and spiritual desire is for peace. Having more money brings peace, living a healthier lifestyle brings peace, doing good and being a person of integrity on your job or in your business brings peace.
Personally, I don’t like conflict because in my my eyes I see conflict as a divide rather than a multiplier. I continue to work hard at looking at conflict as a bridge to peace. It really is a bridge to peace, being married for over 18 years and having five children, there is at some point always going to be conflict. Some call it disfunction, some call it trials and tribulations. Whatever phrase you put on conflict, know this that it is a clear sign you seek peace.
My health was off for sometime and it created conflict within myself and within my relationships, but until I confronted the one (myself) in love and forgiveness and let myself know I was the one at fault for my current condition then I could have peace and move on.
Attack your conflict with a healthy heart and outlook , if there is someone to talk with alone , “do it” if there is someone that has mistreated you or made you feel less than a person, “go tell them.” Doing this may not bring peace to the relationship, but it will bring pace within yourself. I guarantee it!
Being a parent, my kids will benefit greatly from a healthy work ethic. I believe all family members should contribute by having age appropriate chores. Sharing the load fosters responsibility and ownership. Let’s train our kids to understand the need/value of work.
But, we can never let our labor/work/career be a higher value than our family. That statement seems so obvious. In fact, it is extremely rare to meet someone who freely acknowledges this reality in their life. However, many spouses and children communicate they feel that a loved one’s work is a greater priority than they are. Most of us spend eight or more hours a day in work. Consequently, we have to be intentional to protect our most important relationships. This is a tough one for me personally. I find value in my work. Throughout my professional life, in a variety of roles, I have had to be highly intentional with accountability from Sherry and close friends to not allow work/career to overtake my family. For me, the bottom line is that even if I reach every professional goal, if I am not the husband and Dad God desires me to be (and my family needs) it is meaningless. Do something to celebrate your spouse and family. Labor is a part of life. It’s the primary means God uses for us to provide for our family.
The Labor Day holiday grew out of the late 19th century organized labor movement, and it quickly became a national holiday as the labor movement assumed a prominent role in American society. Here’s how it all started, with the facts, as we know them, supplied by the Labor Department, the Library Of Congress, and other sources.
1. The idea first became public in 1882.In September 1882, the unions of New York City decided to have a parade to celebrate their members being in unions, and to show support for all unions. At least 20,000 people were there, and the workers had to give up a day’s pay to attend. There was also a lot of beer involved in the event.
2. The New York parade inspired other unions.Other regions started having parades, and by 1887, Oregon, Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, and Colorado made Labor Day a state holiday.
3. How did the Haymarket Affair influence Labor Day?On May 4, 1886, a bomb exploded at a union rally in Chicago’s Haymarket Square, which led to violence that killed seven police officers and four others. The incident also led to May 1 being celebrated in most nations as Workers Day. The U.S. government chose Labor Day instead to avoid a celebration on May 1 and New York’s unions had already picked the first Monday in September for their holiday.
4. Two people with similar names are credited with that first New York City event.Matthew Maguire, a machinist, and Peter McGuire, a carpenter, have been linked to the 1882 parade. The men were from rival unions; in 2011, Linda Stinson, a former U.S. Department of Labor’s historian, said she didn’t know which man should be credited — partially because people over the years confused them because of their similar-sounding names.
5. Grover Cleveland helped make Labor Day a national holiday.After violence related to the Pullman railroad strike, President Cleveland and lawmakers in Washington wanted a federal holiday to celebrate labor — and not a holiday celebrated on May 1. Cleveland signed an act in 1894 establishing the federal holiday; most states had already passed laws establishing a Labor Day holiday by that point. Sen. James Henderson Kyle of South Dakota introduced S. 730 to make Labor Day a federal legal holiday on the first Monday of September. It was approved on June 28, 1894.
6. The holiday has evolved over the years.In the late 19th century, celebrations focused on parades in urban areas. Now the holiday is a celebration that honors organized labor with fewer parades, and more activities. It also marks the perceived end of the summer season.
7. Can you wear white after Labor Day? This old tradition goes back to the late Victorian era, where it was a fashion faux pas to wear any white clothing after the summer officially ended on Labor Day. The tradition isn’t really followed anymore — white indicated you were still in vacation mode at your summer cottage.
8. Labor Day is the unofficial end of Hot Dog season.The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council says that between Memorial Day and Labor Day, Americans will eat 7 billion hot dogs.
9. How many people are union members today?According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there were 14.8 million union members in the workforce in 2017. There were 17.7 million in 1983.
10. What is the biggest union today?The National Education Association has about 3 million people who are members, including inactive and lifetime members.
Find work you enjoy and share it with your family-
During any football game in which I specialized in for quite sometime, I’ve seen many players that carry the football or when chasing down a play or blocking for the next touchdown, get thrown off. I mean you are focused on a course of action and “wham” someone knocks you off balance or throws you off course.
Another instance imagine driving down the freeway 75 mph, and you are focused on getting to your destination. Suddenly you can spot a bad situation coming and you are knocked off course with an accident or for some reason you are being asked to pull over by the police.
I sense that this happens to many people when pursuing a worth while dream, it could be your marriage, your children, your health, your finances, business, profession, you chose the topic. But, what do you do?
3 Things Not To Do
Many people, not talking about you?! Some give up, some play the blame game, others throw in the towel, or some harness their emotions and make bad decision and try to retaliate immediately.
3 Things To Do
My encouragement is to find the will to fight past the obstacle and refocus towards a greater goal, your purpose.
One thing I can share with you, is that if you get thrown off course and I have experienced this times in my life don’t get discouraged. I believe the being thrown off course can be a positive if you see it that way. Think about this when you are thrown off course you have a chance to look round at what happened , it allows you to asses the situation and make a better choice. But here is the kicker, you can not wait or wallow in your current state often. Quickly ask the question , “what do I need to learn and where do I go from here?” Good questions call upon good responses.
Allow me to encourage you and be resilient in your dealings , especially when things seem rosy and now there is a strong smell of ashes. Be the Phoenix and rise out of the ashes to greatness.
1. a position of agreement or alliance.
How do you define success? Not the world’s definition, or the definition others place on you, but how do you define success within yourself? Is it with your children, Is it with the savings account, how about your health. Whatever it may be, however you define success, however you put the blinders on, define it for yourself, you need to have some alignment.
Nothing is more frustrating than to drive a car with wheels out of alignment, because just a degree off-leads to a new $200 tire. Or how bout when you have a joint , bone, muscle, ligament out of alignment? The pain that is created in other areas of life within your body is very noticeable. Oh, but the feeling when all things are aligned physically in your body or your car, the smooth , effortless movement down the road of life is so rewarding.
Listen to this, “Alignment has to be involved.”
You say, how do you do that? Well think about it. Even if it’s with your savings account, you need to have a savings account. I know thats elementary, but a great start. Be in alignment with the bank. How about aligning yourself with an expert on the topic of savings accounts and the different type of ways to save. You can’t follow a coach or mentor without being in alignment with him, be in harmony, being one with him/her. Why would you want to listen to me if you don’t think that I am in alignment with you? I am, I want to be in alignment with you, because I know what I have to bring in these messages, and understanding what success requires.
Align with someone to take you higher today,
In life there are very few if almost anything great that can be accomplished without some sort of partnership. Whether it is increasing business, organizing business , or maintaining business, launching a new idea or simply making your personal life more effective, don’t do it alone. This truth has been more personal to me as of late both on the job and in life. We are creatures of relationship and partnerships are a thriving force to make and become the change we want to see.
You can have control or growth but you can’t have both.
Partnerships Solves Problems.
The Benefits of Having a partner
1. You earn more and enjoy more.
2. You recover more quickly from trouble.
3. You experience comfort and feel stronger.
Partnership means both are giving and receiving.
The Bones of Partnership-
A partnership won’t work with just…
1. A Jawbone — People who merely want to talk about it getting done.
2. A Wishbone — People who merely wish that someone would do it.
3. A Funny bone — People who never get serious about getting it done.
4. The need is for A Backbone — People who work together consistently to get the job done.
“Today is always the right time to cultivate your partnerships internal and external for growth and success”- Milton Herring
“You have the ability, you have the power to forgive. Exercise it. It’s in your ability, in your power. Maximize that moment, forgive that person, so you can live a life worthy of a calling, worthy of your purpose, to live a great life.”
Forgive: stop feeling angry or resentful toward (someone) for an offense, flaw, or mistake.
The year was 1983 and as a young boy is beginning to enjoy life and friendship, something was suddenly taken from him and added into his life at the same time. The day that changed this young boys life forever was the befriending of a neighborhood teenager. This teenager took advantage of the child like heart of a young boy that was 7, by using the naivety of what friends do together and how they play. This teenage boy cohearsed this young boy to play hide and seek under a house, because all houses had a space where the house sat above ground and a little door gave you access to the pipes and anything under the home. I tell you hide and go seek led to a molestation that wasn’t warranted, and repeated for a time after that. That young boy was myself.
I tell you this from firsthand knowledge and can testify to the power that forgiveness has for you above all. You have been given great power to direct much of your life, whether its with forgiveness, wealth, health, or elite relationships. Your creator God placed inside of you the ability to be guided, instructed and comforted at every corner.
Wayne Dyer- Forgiveness is really an act of letting go, releasing the anger, the hatred, the bitterness, the thoughts of revenge that we have been carrying around. We can do this letting go without even encountering the person we want to forgive.
Much of society blames external forces or people for their short comings or failures. Listen, I fell victim to this many times over my life. It can creep up on you at any moment and before you realize what pity soup you are in you smell of it. In society, there is a disease that is running rampant in our world , where responsibility for your own actions is not the majority but the minority. We can easily point a finger and forget the other there digits are pointing back at us.
80% of Americans are in the self pity mode and not in the business of exercising the tremendous power and gift they have. Allow me to introduce you to the power inside of you to unleash major change and transformation in your life and others positively. Forgive! It can be an instantaneous thing or it can be a process, whatever the journey, it is well worth it simply for you.
Be the channel to impact change for good , not the catalyst to perpetuate destruction. Unleash your Power to Forgive!
I was reflecting on the big audacious goal of losing 100lbs by the end of the year in 2017, and ok for a day excitement and a feeling of despair because it seemed soo far away! It seemed like I may never get there looking at what’s happening, and what I look like today. And I believe that in all areas of life , we can look at current circumstances and then discount the incredible ability you or I have to make more of our selves, which in turn will make more of what we can accomplish. Thus, becoming “More” is the principle to achieving more.
Keep These Key Areas in Mind
1. Be moreCreative- we are all given so much creative energy in the day and being more creative in our lives , will ultimately stretch the possibilities and create new pathways for future opportunities. Sometimes being creative is not a huge shift, but a slight tick on the radar and this can make all the difference. Seek out areas to be more creative. Especially in the morning time do the hard things or most important things first in the day.
2. Build moreconfidence, by building moretrust with others and yourself- Becoming more in this area breeds healthy relationships and healthy relationships are important to building your success. Find areas daily to always build trust with others that you have accountability with and also build trust with yourself by doing one thing daily that gets you closer to your purpose, dream, destiny.
3. Evaluate moreconsistently your process — Consistent evaluation to your work process or personal growth must happen. Taking a realistic view of what is working and what is not will mature the person willing to grow. Always, “Listen to your thoughts and body” and being quick to adjust and implement your new process if needed, will get us closer to our big goals. I challenge you when things aren’t working or when they are working take time to evaluate your processes and make the necessary adjustments or celebrations. Document your journey!
So far on this healthy fit journey I have let go of 80lbs and its a work in progress, and loving the journey.
“we can have more than we’ve got, because we can become more than we are.”- Jim Rohn
Become More Successful today,
Is addiction a catalyst to succeed or a barrier to opposing our greatness? Many studies have been conducted to uncover what causes addiction and what the actual cures are for this disease. If we look at the disease of addiction we find the the word disease is just that (Dis-Ease) the absence of ease in life , relationships or direction. I am a firm believer that obstacles are a sign that this is the direction we should move. If you battle with addiction then pay attention to the lack of connection or lack of direction or ultimately the lack of purpose in your life. If you are someone that has to deal in life with some one with addiction, the best thing for you to do is not isolate or punish unnecessarily , as some punishment or dealing with consequences are needed. But what you should do is provide love and connection. Put this person in an environment of joy, a state of mind that will replace the unhealthy addictions of life. People want to feel worthy, and worth your love and acceptance , so why not give it to them!
Can you imagine how different things would be if instead of teaching the repulsion of the addiction and encouraging movement ‘away’ from it one was taught to embrace it fully? What would that look like? Some might say this would only encourage deeper abuse and ‘no way out’ of the situation causing harm. On the surface, it seems so. But if explored deeper, the questions must be asked why the addiction? What basic need is it fulfilling? And if the basic need can be identified and the ‘substance’ viewed as the chosen avenue for filling the need perhaps the emphasis would naturallyshift.
So, to answer our initial question addiction is both a catalyst and a barrier and its up to us and those we chose to surround ourself with , that will get us to our over arching purpose and destiny in life.
Be great today and let life deal on its own, control what you can and breathe deep in regards to all the rest.
Obstacles of life only appear when you are making progress or looking forward to an opportunity. The opportunities can be small or large according to you. If an obstacle presents itself it’s a marker that this is the direction your faith should take you.
Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen- Taken from the good Book I read. Your belief or faith should be evident to others and to yourself, its always moving forward.
There are many times that obstacles are a clear direction to which way we should turn. An obstacle is clearly just a trial and when trials comes be of good cheer because that is where your overcoming spirit lies and the direction you should go.
Listen I understand by human nature that we want and hope that life is simple and easy. Let’s come to reality and say that it’s not always. For the Maximizer that wants more out of life , expect there to be many obstacles and the most of which are internal.
The battle we face is greatly one from the inside out. We our own selves challenge our motives and purpose moment by moment day by day and we have to fight for what we see to be the greater story in our lives.
The battle we face is greatly one from the inside out.
Never back down from a challenge, embrace it and truly be aware that there is an answer in the room , even if you are alone!
Blessing in Disguise
Strength for the Moment
Testing of your Faith
Application of whats been deposited
Let your intuition guide you
Excel to the next level.
Make this the week You Charge the Mountain,
Milton is genuine, persistent, and sincere. There are very few things that detract Milton from his pursuit of what he believes in. His attitude is fantastic and professionalism top notch. -
International speaker, creator of Maximizing Moments with Milton and the Author of Your Purpose, Your App -How to Stop Drifting and Start Living.